After 9 full days at the Ashram, I have a bit more to say about Amritapuri...
Amritapuri is a world unto itself. It has nearly everything you could possibly need or want including (but not limited to):
*Flats (which I described in my last post). The tallest building topping out at 15 stories... I stayed on the 13th floor of the tallest building, and sighed at the breathtaking view everyday, looking out over the coconut palms, Arabian Sea, Amrita Universities of Biotechnology And Ayurvedic Medicine, and the Backwaters full of pulsing jelly fish! The everyday-burning of all trash (including plastic) leaves a filmy haze limiting visibility from the top floor.
*Laundery Service: Handwashed by visitors and devotees alike during seva (which I'll describe in a moment), laundery flapps like flags in the sea breezes atop the roofs of the dorms/flats.
*Xerox room, indian store (already mentioned), Western Gift Shop, Thrift store, Internet cafe, swimming pool, ecology center & gift shop, juice bar, Amma Doll shop, music room, information center, and sooooo much more.
*Western Canteen, Cafe, and full service Coffee Bar, complete with exspresso, cappuccino, and teeccino (YUM! coffee alternative)!
*Indian Canteen with delicious indian cuisine above and beyond the free meals.
Altogether, the Ashram could be considered somewhat of a resort... yet, in all 10 days of my visit, accommodations only amounted to approximately $30! Now, how can one beat that?! Of course I spent a bit more than that, as the taxi cost $33 (more than my room!), and I indulged in the delicious foods beyond the free food provided.
So... who goes to Amritapuri?
Well, Amma devotees from all over the world of course, pilgrimaging Indians, and curious travellers. The Ashram sits between the Backwaters and the Arabian Sea, and ferries en route from Kollam to Alleppy stop, and some curious travellers, board from the boat ride sometimes get off to stay a night or two at the Ashram, completely unaware of what and who they are about to encounter!... The Hug of their Life! Ages span from infants to those-on-their-way-out. Healthy, sick, injured, rich, poor, spiritual seekers, athiests, Hindus, Christians, every creed and origin... they are all welcome... and they come. The Ashram is especially abuzz when Amma is on the premises... she often leaves, however, to spread her love on tour. In fact, she'll be leaving the Ashram on Friday, with a couple bus loads of eager followers in caravan to assist in all that it takes to make the tours happen. I've already left the Ashram, so I'll not be joining the tour formally... however, it's quite possible that I'll link back up with Amma's embrace as I head North up the coast.
So, what does one do at the Ashram?
Well the opportunities are endless! A typical day at the Ashram begins with morning Archana (sp?), chantng of the 1000 names of Amma. This practice begins at 5am. There are Pujas (offering ceremonies) to different incarnations of the Gods and Goddesses daily. Meditation also happens throughout the day (usually morning and evening)... with a special sunset meditation hour on the beach! Every evening in the massive dining hall, just following sunset, is Bhajans (devotional singing)... this is one of my favorite times of the day! There is plenty to do inbetween all of these activities, but the most frequent thing to do is SEVA (selfless service)! The Ashram is set up so that everybody who stays there performs a minimum of 2 hours of maintenance Seva (this is basically all the behind-the-scene-workings of the ashram including: kitchen duties, cleaning duties, coffee bar, sweeping, laundry service, etc.). When visitors come to the Ashram, they are invited to participate in Seva, and asked to register at the Seva desk. It's not so much an invitation, as it's "strongly encouraged," you might even say "enforced." If you fail to register for Seva, you'll kindly receive a formal invitation posted to your door (I know because a friend received this invite). Amma says that, "In this time of selfishness, selfless service is the soap that purifies the soul."
Tours are also offered... to get accquainted with the Ashram, the village, and Amma's Allopathic Hospital in Kollam. Satsang & Amma's lunch are on Tuesday. Satsang is a question and answer period with Amma, followed by Amma serving everybody lunch!
There's Vedic Astrology readings one can sign up for. I had one done for 500 Rs. I received a copy of my Vedic chart, which is a bit different from a Western chart. I learned that I'm still in my Saturn Return (argh!), and will be until September! At that point, things in my life will settle down a bit. And, right now, I should be focusing on my Life Work... which has a lot to do with communication.... so its no wonder I am so passionate about my work with Heartful Communication! That was a huge affirmation. The astrologer told me I was a healer... and I corrected her... "No, I'm an educator." She laughed and told me that I'm acutally a healer, but that it makes sense that I don't see myself as such. During our session, she shared so much with me about my work, that I got really excited, and decided to see if I could offer a workshop at the Ashram! That night, I asked the workshop coordinator about it, and my workshop was immediately scheduled for Monday at 10am (1 day away)! I had to get to work immediately... this was a Seva I could be passionate about!
I spent the entire next day doing my Seva (3 hours at the coffee bar, and the entire rest of the day preparing my workshop)! For every step forward I took, it seemed a new challenge presented itself: my time ran out on the computer, or the documents didn't save to my disk, etc.) The work was endless... but I finished just before dinner, and decided I really wanted darshan, so that I could ask Amma a question. I had run into a professor of the Amrita University who saw my ad about the workshop, and she wanted to talk to me about teaching the University Faculty! I told her I was leaving the Ashram to travel, but that I might be willing to come back to teach... I decided I would ask Amma about it. I didn't have a (free) darshan token (which you need, to receive darshan), so after dinner, I went up to one friend to see if she might have one for me... she did!
Darshan is only offered on Monday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. It was Sunday, and I would be leaving the Ashram before the next darshan onFriday. She begins giving hugs around 10am, and continues until every last hug has been issued... sometimes into the wee hours of the morning without taking a single break! All the while, people are asking her questions about all the many service projects happening under her authority, planning her tours, about their individual lives, etc. She even performs christening (maybe this isn't the right word, as its not Christian) and wedding ceremonies, usually at the end of her darshan.
I wrote my question, and asked one of Amma's devotees to translate it into Malayam (the traditional language of Kerala). She scribbled down a legnthy paragraph of curly q's that I couldn't decipher.
My darshan happened at the end of the night (after midnight). She had been hugging and hugging all day! As I approached, the stage managing devotees took my questiong passing it down the line looking at me and "wobbling" their heads and pointing. I scooted, on my knees to reach Amma, and she looked at me with a fierce, sarcastic glance of, "ooooooh really?!" Didn't quite know what to make of that ... as I was squished into her bosom for the energetic shakti of Amma! The question was read to her while I was in her embrace. I waited. I was quickly pulled away by the devotees, and Amma was already moving on to the next in line. A man shouted over all of the excitement, "I read your question!" "And?" I begged. "No answer!" and he brushed me away.
I didn't quite know what to make of that... but I wasn't really attached to an answer anyway. For me, it was quite amusing just to ask one in the first place, and see how it went. I'll admit, I did walk away a little confused... but nonetheless, the darshan had energized me immensely! Tomorrow, I would simply offer my workshop and let the rest unfold as it would.
The next day there was a Spring in my step! I would be teaching my first International Heartful Communication workshop at Amma's Ashram!!! I went an hour early to set up... and slowly the participants trickled in: 10 people, 20 people... then over 50 people! Surprisingly it was the largest voluntary group I've ever taught! People from the US, France, Germany, England, Wales, Sitzerlin, Canada, Japan, Australia, and other countries too! It went smoother than any workshop I've ever offered! The room was full of energy, and eager participants willing to do the role playing, discussion groups, and experiential activities I had provided! Somehow, I felt that Amma was answering my question in her own, subtle, curious way.
I was glowing. I had spent 8 days wondering why I was at the Ashram, and even more so, why I wasn't feeling as "spiritual" as everybody else. The Heartful Communication workshop turned all of that around. This was a Seva I was passionate about... and it validated not just the work I love to do... but that I'm good at it... and on many levels, this is one of my connections to Spirit! Having offered the deepest part of myself for Seva, I in return received an incredible dose of energy... and confidence to leave the Ashram and begin my travels in India on my own!
I left Amritapuri yesterday afternoon, taking a Ferry up the backwaters to Alleppy, where I am now. Today, I'm going for a canoe ride in the backwaters where its quiet, and I can catch a glimpse of village life on the waters. Hope to spot some amazing wildlife (mostly exotic birds) too!
More to come!...
India
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment